Sunday, September 23, 2007

Hanging with the Dead People

In the fall of 1997, my brother gave me my very first software program for managing our family history data. I believe it was Family Tree. It came with 12 cd's of databases and a wonderful background on Ellis Island - including the roll logs. I couldn't wait for the weekend to arrive so that I could bury myself in moving my research from paper to digital. Sure enough, I disappeared from view - except to refill the coffee cup now and again. I was lost in the far away times and places of my ancestors. As time went on, I worked hard at honing my research skills and learning how to read between the lines and follow hunches. Each time I uncovered a new lead or verified a major fact, I felt so alive. My children soon coined a phrase that sticks with me still - they called my new pastime, "hanging with the dead people".

It's ten years later and "hanging with the dead people" is now my career choice and the aspect of my life that holds the most sincere value. In a world that seems to have gone mad with change and speed and intangible mania, I still believe that the human story - the rich, colourful legacy of our lives will, in the end hold the true reflection of our success.

No comments:

Heritage Scrap Designs by Kate McClellan

My Layout Artistry